Chapter fifty-five

Hybitor Council Headquarters, Neman Forest
 
The Emergency Mail Message[1] was very short:
“Strange blue clouds in Mr Ismay’s kitchen. Send help. Simkins. “
Gwyneth sighed as she read it out. 
‘And at that point the courageous servant ran for his life’
Bronwyn shook her head.
‘Wouldn’t anyone?’  
‘Not really my point… he could have stayed long enough to give us another line of information on the EMM’
‘Isn’t that enough?’
‘We’ll see’
Gwyneth had wandered into Bronwyn’s study, which Bronwyn always hated. She wasn’t a very tidy or particularly well-organised person and she always felt the weight of her sister’s disapproval growing heavier during every second that they were together in the room. She picked up several books from the floor, half-heartedly, as they talked.
‘Are these spell books?’
Bronwyn blushed and mumbled. Gwyneth sighed loudly and deeply.
‘I’m pretty certain that those bent pages will need to be re-annealed’
Gwyneth wagged her finger at the books. Bronwyn plonked them on the desk and then stood between them and her sister. Gwyneth smiled coldly.  
‘I’m not at all surprised that we haven’t been asked to participate in any of those University twin studies’
‘Stop it, Gwyn – it really isn’t helping. We need to think about the EMM’
‘Not much to think about – we need to send someone over to Kinspit as soon as possible’
‘Of course’
‘Particularly as we’ve heard nothing from John or Laurence for some time’
‘I know’ said Bronwyn, glancing suddenly out of her window, ‘I really hope they’re both safe and well’
‘Laurence will be, I’m sure, he’s sound and sensible… and it’s hardly rare for John to be out of contact, is it?’
‘I suppose not, but…’
‘Who’s best for this job, do you think?’ asked Gwyneth, interrupting. 
Bronwyn narrowed her eyes.
‘Owen, of course’ she answered, ‘he’s really clever with anomalies’
Gwyneth made a face.
‘You really think so?’ she said, barely trying to hide a groan.
Bronwyn glanced up, trying to read her sister’s face.
‘Well, why not? He’s a very talented witch’
Gwyneth scowled.
‘I suppose so. And, of course, with Owen you get two for the price of one’
Bronwyn frowned and shook her head.
‘Really, Gwyn, I wish you’d stop going on about that’
‘She’ll be there’
‘Celia? Why would she be?’
Gwyneth laughed.
‘Why do you think? Sometime I’m astonished at how poor your knowledge of the human heart is… Although given your track record, maybe I shouldn’t be...’
Bronwyn continued to shake her head. She turned to leave the room.
‘And I’m astonished at how much you read into the smallest thing’ she said, ‘I don’t see what’s wrong with them being friends’
‘There’s nothing wrong with any of it. I just don’t like people fooling themselves. I wish they’d get on with it, preferably as far away from me as possible’
Bronwyn stopped and folded her arms.
‘Get on with what?’
‘Forming a bond, falling in love, all that palaver’
‘No, Gywn – don’t be silly. It’s just professional. Why would you think that?’
Gwyneth tut-tutted and began to make her way out of the room.
‘Come on’ she said, ‘let’s see if we can get hold of them’
‘Him’ muttered Bronwyn as they left.  
 
***
They walked out into the morning sunlight to the square of bare rock where they chalked their communication circle. It was the only clear area in the wild tangle of plants that Bronwyn insisted on calling their ‘wildlife garden’. They could have made it so the circle was there continuously, but both of them enjoyed the established ritual, with one chanting and the other chalking. However different they may become, all twins like to share some things.
Gwyneth, as usual, spent a long time creating the structure. With the chalk carefully positioned in her left hand she was able to draw an almost perfect circle. At the same time Bronwyn spoke the incantation that activated the circle and then created a window into Owen’s workshop.  Bronwyn’s face was screwed up in concentration.
‘Something’s wrong’ she said, ‘there’s some sort of interference’
Gwyneth stopped chalking the third of the five points required inside the circle. She looked up quizzically.
‘I didn’t do anything. It must be you’ she snapped
Bronwyn frowned and then gestured vaguely into the air.
‘It isn’t either of us. There’s something trying to block the signal’
‘Can you do anything about it? Maybe we should swap?’
Bronwyn’s lips set into a thin line, but she didn’t resist. They changed places.
Bronwyn finished the pentacle and then walked over to where Gwyneth was chanting. She noticed, with quiet satisfaction, that her sister’s forehead was beading with sweat.
A thick fog was billowing up inside the circle. They both exchanged a knowing glance; this had happened before.
‘CRS’ they both whispered, as one voice.
‘Why are they doing it now?’ asked Bronwyn, peering into the fog.
‘Probably because John’s house is full of blue clouds – what do you think…?’ answered Gwyneth, ‘can you see anything in there?’
 Bronwyn peered into the yellowy grey fog. There was definitely something moving inside the circle, something approximately human in size and shape.
‘I think I can see him – although it’s all very unclear’ she said. They both stared hopefully into the fog. They both saw the same figure – no more than a silhouette.
‘Yes, I think he’s there’ said Gwyneth, taking a step backwards.  
‘You talk to him’ she said, pushing her sister forward gently ‘he seems to think that I’m rude, for some reason’
‘Owen, can you hear us?’ asked Bronwyn as she peered into the mist. The silhouette was now more clearly visible in mid-air, but it obviously was a tall female form. It waved.
‘Is that you, Bron? I can’t see a thing’
Bronwyn stared intently into the haze. She looked puzzled.  Gwyneth couldn’t conceal a little snorting laugh.
‘Celia?’ said Bronwyn
‘That’s me!’ said Celia. They could only recognise her by her voice.
‘I don’t know how things look at your end’ she continued, ‘but I can’t see a thing!’
She paused.
‘Lovely to hear from you though…’
‘Yes, as always’ said Bronwyn, ‘but, I’m wondering. We were trying to get Owen. Did we make an address mistake?
The white cloud that was Celia laughed a very rich alto laugh. Alongside it, as a sort of bass accompaniment, they now heard a deep Rhylic voice. It was a curiously gentle voice for one of such low frequency, and when combined with Celia’s it made something rather heartening.
‘He’s just here’ said Celia, ‘do you want a word?’
The swirl of fog shifted to reveal a human figure at least two inches shorter than the one that it had replaced and several inches wider.  
‘Told you’ said Gwyneth, very quietly, her eyes creased with victory.
The deep voice came booming out of the fog.
‘Bronwyn! I can’t see you but I can tell you’re there. Why is it so hazy? Have you got a branch on your points again?’
Bronwyn began to shake her head but then realised that that might be a futile gesture.
‘No, Owen, the CRS are using the blocking spell. We could only just make contact’
‘Bastards’ he said, very slowly and clearly, rolling the word out like a bowling ball.
‘We need to hurry’ said Gwyneth, raising her voice so that they could all hear her, ‘we may not be able to keep the connection for long’
‘Right’ said Owen, ‘what do you two wise souls require from us?’
‘Us?’ said the laughing voice behind him, ‘what are you volunteering me for now, O?’
Gwyneth stepped forward. She’d had enough of this.
‘We need you to go to John’s house in Kinspit and sort out the blue clouds in his kitchen’
There was a brief silence at both ends of the conversation.
‘What did she say, O?’ asked Celia, rather muffled.
‘John has a kitchen full of blue clouds’ explained Owen, ‘we have to get rid of them’
‘Sounds intriguing!’ murmured Celia, ‘when shall we start?’
‘Now’ said Gwyneth, impatiently. She saw no need to extend the conversation any further. Her foot was poised to scuff out a point of the pentangle.
‘And take care’ shouted Bronwyn, ‘we have no idea what’s going on’.
Owen and Celia both shouted out ‘we will!’ together, as the fog folded in on itself and the spell shut itself down.


[1] A short message on a scrap of low-grade mail paper that can be sent easily to a thaumic hub even by the lowliest magic user.

No comments:

Post a Comment