Chapter thirteen

Neman Forest, Northern Eth
 
The air was still cold in Northern Eth in the first days of May and so Gwyneth had lit the fire in her study at six, as she got up. She bustled around preparing the room – she could only work in it when it was tidy. By the time she was happy with it there was tea and toast, helpfully provided by one of her assistants.
 Elizabeth[1] arrived at six-fifty-five, five minutes early, as for every weekly meeting. She merely nodded at Gwyneth as she sat down at the heavy oak table; then she spread her notes out. Gwyneth sat down next to her and pulled a note book out of her pocket. She dipped a pen in the ink well in front of her and then they were ready to start. Elizabeth began to read from the papers in front of her.
‘I have three reports from operatives in Southern Rhylan – they say that levels of nationalist activities are normal.  No enemy activities have been reported.’
She paused as Gwyneth took the notes down. Elizabeth had often commented on how much more efficient employing a secretary would be, but Gwyneth was not the sort to rely on something as potentially inefficient as a scribe.
And so it went on – each surveillance sector was described: Northern Rhylan, Southern Rhylan, Pedamon and the Western Isles, Eth City, Central, East Coast, The Empire, Effaron, Eastern Barbaria, Kinspit, and Babalia. This formal network of spies was all Elizabeth’s idea and she was extremely proud of it. There were agents in each of those ten regions but there was never that much from the last three. Most of what went on happened in western Eth, but everything had been quiet for some time.
‘No sign of bigger prey?’ asked Gwyneth when the dry list of provincial espionage was over.
‘No – there never is. Wherever they are and whatever they’re doing, they’re far away from our prying eyes’
Gwyneth was disappointed. There was never anything about the greatest of their foes, the archwitches known as Kratos and Bea. They had been humans once, but no-one really knew what they had now become.  They had lived far past a normal human lifespan and that meant that they must had used powers forbidden in the civilised world. And they wouldn’t hesitate to use those powers against anyone who stood in their way.
‘Every week I hope for just one small lead...’ she said
Elizabeth laughed.
‘They may not be doing anything: they may be dead or dying.  The privations of necromancy must claim their toll eventually, surely...’
‘Possibly...’ murmured Gwyneth.
Elizabeth’s administration skills were formidable, but Gwyneth doubted that she knew anything much about necromancy, and that was undoubtedly a good thing. Gwyneth herself, however, knew more than she really wanted to know or would readily reveal. She knew, especially, that the real attraction of the death magic was that the only things that suffered a privation were the things that were sacrificed. That was why it was so seductive to those who had no qualms about killing.
There was a lull while Elizabeth tidied up her first set of papers. Gwyneth knew what came next. She wearily wrote a new heading Court Matters. She looked up at Elizabeth and said ‘and what from Lady Anne?’ mechanically.
Elizabeth’s eyes lit up. Gwyneth’s heart sank.
‘I was able to meet the ambassador from Formor, Count Eigentraub, at a reception this week and he told me a little more about the resurgence of the crusading spirit in Formor…’
An amusing thought struck Gwyneth; she couldn’t resist a prod.
‘Why were you at a political reception?’ she asked, already knowing the answer.
‘I came as Lady Anne’s companion’
Gwyneth grinned. Elizabeth, mildly flustered, felt the need to explain.
‘She’s unmarried...so she needs a “plus one” at times...’
‘So, how do you feel about being the High Lady’s “plus one”?’
Elizabeth’s face coloured.
‘She’s the wrong sex, Gwyn...’
‘Not necessarily...’
Elizabeth shook her head and frowned.
‘I’m not interested in another conversation with you where you try to embarrass me with... your libertine western ways. That’s not how things are done in Eth City. We have a sense of decorum and no-one thinks twice about two middle-aged women attending a function together’
Gwyneth held up her hands to recant her teasing.
‘Tell me something else, then...’ she said, forcing the grin off her face. It was an effort but, in her turn, Elizabeth also resumed her professional demeanour.
‘I spoke to Arwyn Davies, the ECU[2] Principal...’
Gwyneth knew Arwyn vaguely – he seemed to be sound.
‘...We have regular chats... Anyway, he said that the University had approved a small expedition to Melloreis’
‘I know’ said Gwyneth
Elizabeth’s face fell; Gwyneth knew that she hated to bring stale information.
‘How do you know? Arwyn only told me two day ago...’
‘Consul Ridgeway blurted it out to John’
‘Old fool’ they said, almost in unison, and then laughed. There was a moment of shared guilt at their childishness, and then they moved on. Gwyneth was keen to make Elizabeth feel useful again.
‘So – I’m wondering why the Emperor had allowed an expedition through the Wall and into lost territory. How are they even going to get through the wall?’
‘There is a Vyrian mage with them, Scholasticus Lucius; apparently he has a key to one of the minor gates’
‘That tells us how they’ll get through, but still not why...’
 ‘I think it’s just an excuse to see if the key still works and do a bit of reconnaissance on the other side of the Wall. Pallatian is an ambitious ruler’
‘Who are the Ethian scholars?’
Elizabeth looked down at her dossier.
‘Dr Fred Eccles... umm... an architectural historian, and Dr Katherine Fielding, an expert on... Dwarven magic...’
‘I’ve heard of her’ said Gwyneth, ‘I think she has a good reputation, and she almost works in our area...’
Elizabeth half-frowned.
‘Angharad’s area, I guess, but beyond that nobody else in the council knows much about Dwarven magic...’
‘True. Does Dr Fielding teach at the University?’
‘Research position, I think: I could find out...’
Gwyneth shook her head slightly. It didn’t seem all that important.
‘Should this expedition worry us in any way?’ she asked.
‘I doubt it’ answered Elizabeth, ‘it’s a risky venture and it might be worth getting Stephen to ask his Imperial contacts what’s behind it all. I don’t think there’s much to worry about beyond possibly losing the scholars’
‘I’ll let John know what you’ve told me’ said Gwyneth, ‘he may want to do something behind the scenes’
Elizabeth shook her head.
‘Let’s hope he doesn’t meddle where meddling would be unhelpful... Sometimes the authorities know what they’re doing. We should only intervene as a last resort’
Gwyneth mostly agreed with this but her loyalty to her leader overrode her political instincts.
‘I’m sure John will act according to the principles of the council’
Elizabeth looked sceptical.
‘Spoken like a loyal lieutenant...’
Gwyneth knew where this conversation was going. They had skated round the topic many times. Occasionally they had stomped right over it.
‘A loyal lieutenant is what I am’ she said
Elizabeth’s eyes narrowed,
‘Forever and always?’ she murmured
‘Stop that’ commanded Gwyneth, ‘I didn’t stand against him then and I won’t stand against him in the future’
‘Yes, you’ve said that many times before...’
Stop asking me then thought Gwyneth, I’m not going to change my mind.
‘You have to get over this, Liz... I wouldn’t stand, so you stood, and you lost. John got a majority vote. Discussing it over and over again won’t change anything...’
‘You would have won if you’d stood’ muttered Elizabeth, ‘and we could have finished the modernisation of the council’
‘You’re wrong’ Gwyneth said, with growing irritation, ‘and you’re unrealistic. I don’t want to talk about this anymore’
‘But inevitably we will’ said Elizabeth, darkly.
Gwyneth sighed. She said nothing more, waiting for Elizabeth’s recurrent annoyances to subside. She was grateful when she heard her stomach talking to her on a more basic level.
‘We should stop talking and eat breakfast’ she said, ‘the toast is getting cold’  


[1] A council member of the Hybitor
[2] Eth City University, the only prestigious place of higher learning in the human world; distrusted by elves, however, because of some of the unorthodox courses that it taught. It was tolerated by the Ethian establishment as it is ‘on balance more useful than dangerous’

No comments:

Post a Comment